There is a warmth to candlelight a warmth that’s has been counteracted in the 21st century. The cold calculated face of technology has stolen that warmth from us. We have light but Somewhere along the way we lost the wonder of light, the glow of candlelight the sound of silence competing with natures orchestra.
I was reminded of my love for that warmth and the sound of that silence last week when some genius in a Coca Cola truck flattened a fairly important pole down the road from me. Plunged into darkness I found myself free. Free from the temptation of the television, free of the drone of the technology, my apartment walls looking a alive as the shadows crept up and down the walls as if chased by the candlelight.
I ended up reading most of the evening in the silence time seemed to be feeling a bit soppy and enveloped me and instead of running away from me as it’s been known to do, we proceeded through the evening in a sweet embrace. For once I didn’t feel rushed or anxious. Technology withdrew and calm descended in the space it left behind. Continue reading »
Continue reading »
I’ve lost some of that reserve of energy I had. It is just so easy to be over run by the comfort and the routine but I’ve decided to stop. Yeah that’s right I’ve just decided to stop it in it’s tracks. That’s the beauty of it there are far more things in the world that will scare skid marks into your shorts than comfortable things. That’s probably why our minds hang onto those moments of comfort for so long, foregoing new experiences for the allure of unchanging blissful mediocrity.
If you want real and lasting change and deeply fulfilling life you’ve got to put yourself out there! You have to roll up your sleeves. I’ve learnt very little in my years on earth but I have learnt that fear exists only in your mind. Once you start with the doing your body gets involved very quickly catapults you through that layer of fear and excitement adrenaline and instinct take over. We are all survivors. We are all powerful. Thinking drains us of that power. Thinking stops us at the gate makes us doubt, makes us try when we should be doing. It makes us give up before when we’re moments from our goal.
So you visited my site or another blog and would like to pop in more often and keep track of the content on the site. So you add the site as a bookmark and Bob’s your father’s brother. Except what if you wanted to be notified when new content is added or existing content is updated. Well you can by subscribing to the RSS feed but what the heck is an RSS feed?
What is RSS
RSS feeds are the answer to the modern internet. The internet is all grown up and with the growth of broadband across the planet we have as a planet access to more information faster than at any time in history. We are no longer limited by our technology but by time we have available. RSS feeds are a result of the change in the face of technology allowing content on the internet to change constantly. The internet as you know it will not be the same in 5 minutes time and has probably changed fairly drastically in the last 60 seconds. RSS feeds were designed with this in mind, the dynamic web a web in constant flux. A static bookmark is no longer sufficient for a website who may add and update content many times an hour. We need content as and when it changes RSS delivers your internet right to your browser in real time.
RSS means Really Simple Syndication
The syndication bit simply means the delivery of media and the really simple is what RSS is.
- No Longer need to check for updates when a site is updated your RSS feed gets updated automatically
- No longer need to navigate to each site you regularly read the content is right there when you open your RSS feed reader
- Can receive breaking news as and when it happens
- Drastically reduce the time you need to spend on the internet
- Drastically increase the amount of media you can consume
I have included an additional video as well as text guides on how to use RSS feeds all of which are quite comprehensive, in the resources at the end of the post should anything still be unclear.
How to use RSS
- Get an RSS reader there are a plethora of RSS readers on the market for sale and for free I suggest starting with a free reader like Google Reader
- Once you’ve found a RSS feed you’d like to subscribe to click on the RSS icon.
- If there is a drop down select your reader if not you should see a screen similar to the one below where you’ll be able to choose your preferred RSS reader.
- Go back to Google reader and you should see the latest posts from the RSS feed you’ve subscribed to in Google Reader
That is as they say is that. Rinse and repeat for every site RSS you’d like to add and a come back daily and keep track of your important sites as and when they change.
How to Use RSS Feeds More Resources:
- What is RSS? by Darren Rowse – a great look at why and how to use RSS feeds
- Getting Started with RSS by Paul Stamatiou – A great guide to using RSS from PaulStamatiou.com (found via LifeHacker)
- How to Explain RSS the Oprah Way
Everything you need to know about RSS feeds and feed readers is included in the this guide on how to use RSS.
Life is often seen as a journey, a long voyage through troubled seas. I disagree life is a a function of the company we keep. Every day our seas are ravaged by storms of adversity and strife. Many of us are caught in amongst swells being thrown about and generally feeling out of control of our vessels and our journey’s.
How do we arrest this and bring our lives under control? Simple, realize that this is just a metaphor, you don’t have to be the boat. Your life need not be out of control and better still you can make it your job to save more vessels in distress. Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Do You Want To Take Your Evernote Experience To The Next Level?
Unleash Evernote's Real Power in just one day and take charge of Your time, with Evernote Essentials!
Click Here To Get it Now!
- @super_mqqqn RT @aboab_aboab: 【血液型別twitterの使い方】【A型】ガセネタかどうかソース元調べてから慎重に公式RT 【B型】深刻なpostのすぐ後にネタpost投下【O型】基本的にリプライしないしTL読まないけど寂しいのは絶対嫌【AB型】アメーバなう使用
- @emircks #BenimAnladığımKadarıyla Twitter'da Takip Etmeyeni Takip Etmiyorlar Sanırım.
- @G_tacomas1600 〜現実〜 女「……ごめんね？(上目」 男「きめぇ上目すんなブス」 〜Twitter〜 女「……ごめんね？(上目」 男「○○ちゃんから上目されたぁぁ//////」 ＿人人人人人人人人人人人＿ ＞Twitterだからできること＜ ￣^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ^Ｙ￣
- @topolitiq Journal des #Politiques sur Twitter is out! http://t.co/llZlG8ki5D ▸ Top stories today via @Coquelicot95 @TristanQM @Partiradical28
What Twitter says about: Twitter
WP plugin by Marketing Digital
- Evernote Review: Online note taking software Pc and Mobile 38 comment(s) | 41,399 view(s)
- How to use Evernote and GTD for setting and achieving goals and objectives 35 comment(s) | 36,167 view(s)
- Goal and Objective tracking in Evernote Pt. 1 – Collection 36 comment(s) | 34,182 view(s)
- Using Evernote: How I process my Stuff 29 comment(s) | 32,469 view(s)
- What is Meditation, a Beginners Guide to Learning Meditation 22 comment(s) | 27,317 view(s)
- Goal and Objective tracking in Evernote Pt. 2 – Capture 22 comment(s) | 20,552 view(s)
- Survival Guru day 29 comment(s) | 20,229 view(s)